Saturday, May 8, 2010

Can not delete a master page " This item cannot be deleted because it is still referenced by other pages "

I came across this bug the other day.  When creating a custom master page, I then wanted to delete it. When trying to delete the page I got the following error

"This item cannot be deleted because it is still referenced by other pages. This item cannot be deleted because it is still referenced by other pages " 

but I knew my page was not attached to any other pages. I finally found this KB from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926812 stating this is a known bug.

Rather than "hiding" the page as they suggest, I chose to create a Folder called "DeleteMe" in the MasterPage Gallery, then I had to turn my Version Control off completely and Content Approval off too. Then I opened the gallery using SPD and was able to drag the master pages into the DeleteMe Folder, then I went back to the Master Gallery web page and deleted the Folder.

Technorati Tags: SharePoint Master Page,can not delete

6 comments:

  1. I followed steps, but when deleting the folder I got the message as
    Error


    This folder cannot be deleted because it contains the following page layout that is still in use: VASC-seattle.master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the same error in my side. F1 please. Thanks

      Delete
  2. This did not work for. But emptying the recycle bin, then reassigning the proper master page with "reset all subsites to inherit..." did the trick. See here: http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/84532/unable-to-delete-master-page-from-sharepoint-portal

    But I think Linda is hot so its worth coming here anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for sharing your solution - worked for me as well.
      So its worth to go here not just for Lindas hotness:)

      Delete
  3. This is an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed all steps but did not work for O365 Master page gallery, so i opened the gallery with "Open with Explorer" option in Library tab and cut the folder and past to some where else in the machine, after that only i could remove the folder from gallery.
    Cheers !!!

    ReplyDelete